Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bass Angler Does Some Surf Casting

The low tide made for some very calm surf on the Atlantic Coast of Florida. Surfcasting was quite enjoyable and wading into the water without getting pounded by the waves added to the pleasure. Because I have little knowledge of this type of fishing I chose a simple rig. A silver spoon provided a compact yet heavy lure and made the presentation quite easy.

The fish were plentiful and I was able to catch several each time out. However, identifying the species was difficult for me due to my lack of knowledge. Since all of my catch was released knowing the length limits for the fish was not of any concern. All of my fishing was being done on the beach where there were condominium buildings side by side as far as I could see. Most of the residents were retired people and when not fishing themselves, they enjoyed watching others including me.

One afternoon I was blessed with several fish hooking up with my spoon and my lack of ability to identify them is what caused an issue. Walking down the beach was a lady who happened by about the time I hooked a good fish so she stopped to watch the ensuing battle of angler and fish. Once I subdued the fish and released it within her plain sight she proceeded to give me a lesson on fish identification.

To someone with my lack of knowledge a Carvelle Jack looks identical to a Pompano. The Pompano is regarded as one of the best tasting fish while the Jack is one of the worst. The one sided conversation with the lady on the beach made it perfectly clear to me that she could tell the difference. She wanted the fish for a meal and was forced to watch it swim away after I released it.

She used some words to describe my stupidity that I would never use in the presence of my mother and they are of similar age. In a very detailed manner she informed me how to tell the difference of the two species and where she lived so I could save for her any further Pompano caught. Also, she gave me specific instructions not to attempt to clean the fish as she had her own favorite technique and didn’t want me “messing up the fish”.

What she didn’t realize was there was no way I was going to save any of the Pompano for her because she had scared me with her behavior. I did not dare approach her home as fear of doing something “stupid” may put her over the edge and there would be no witnesses to my death, near or in her home. I did, however, watch closely the people walking on the beach from that time forward trying to identify anyone who looked similar to her. Once I thought I saw her in the distance and I immediately quit fishing until I could confirm the lady walking on the beach was not the lady who I feared.

For More Fishing Articles Visit Bass Fishing Midwest

No comments: